Sunday, September 18, 2011


My fondest memories of Reb Zelik were those special times when I would surprise him with a visit at his apartment.  The front door was always open, and there I would find him sitting in his overstuffed chair. Sometimes he would be napping, and I would make sure not to startle him.  I would start singing a tune to gently awaken him, and he would open his eyes, those wonderful twinkling eyes, and give me a broad smile.  We would sit and talk, and sometimes, watch a television program together.

On one visit, I had learned of his birthday from Rabbi Paltiel, and brought in a small cake with lit candles.  I began to sing, "Happy Birthday" as I entered, and before I knew it, his buddies from the other 3 apartments (whose doors were also open most of the time) came in and joined me in song.  We had a great celebration, singing songs, clapping hands and laughing.
 
Zelik wasn't the lucky one that day~ I was.  It was a privilege and an honor to be in his company, and any time I could bring a "twinkle and a smile" to this wonderful man's face, I felt blessed. 
 
Carol Arnold 

No comments:

Post a Comment